Thursday, May 02, 2013

Ready, set, groove!

If you 're into soul music, you search for rare grooves, you reach ecstasy with voices like that of Willie Hutch, Minnie Riperton, Betty Wright and so on (I could go on for the next 2 hours at least) or you just look for the perfect soundtrack to... seduce your significant other, I believe I'm about to make your day - or night.

Rare grooves and modern soul flavours is a weekly radio show presented by Paul Collins on solar radio and if my memory doesn't play tricks on me, it's been over 3 years since I randomly found out about it on the internet.

Paul Collins does a really great job selecting and presenting grooves that are not only rare, but can root deeply into your soul -and your player. As if that's not enough, he also avoids doing the "trick" that most radio producers do, playing the same 5 tunes over and over again on each show. He carefully selects tracks that haven't been heard previously and although the infinity of music can't be doubted, you can imagine how hard it can be to constantly dig for tracks that you haven't played before, that are rare, 3-4 minutes long (tops) and at the same time that can make a 2 hours long show leave you bowled over.

Through "Rare grooves and modern soul flavours" I' ve found and loved songs like Elvin Spencer's - "Lift this hurt", Love & friendship - "Firefly", Emmett Garner jr - "So much better", Tomorrow's men - Who's that lady" and lots lots lots of others, while I do have my own personal favorite show which goes back in June 2010 (you can listen to it here).

Now that your speakers have got soul, I think I'm gonna pay my respects to Paul Collins - something I should have done years ago.

Thank you Mr. Collins, whoever you are.

radio show: Rare grooves and modern soul flavours
presented by Paul Collins, every Wednesday 20.00-22.00 GMT on Solar radio


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...